History of St. Mark's
St. Mark's was founded in 1865 by John A. Taplin and thirteen other residents of Carthage Landing, now known as Chelsea, NY in the Town of Wappingers Falls. In June, 1869 the Rt. Rev. Horatio Potter, Bishop of New York dedicated the new church building. It is in the style of "Carpenter Gothic". The board and batten construction, according to Dutchess County historians, exemplifies "Upjohn inspired parish churches built from Gothic Revival pattern books."
Throughout most of the 20th Century, lay readers and clergy from surrounding congregations served St. Mark's Episcopal Church. In the mid-1980's, St. Mark's joined in ministry with St. Nicholas on the Hudson in New Hamburg, NY. In 1998, they entered the Congregational Support Plan of the Diocese of New York and the Rev. Sr. Jean Campbell, OSH became a part time priest in charge of the congregation.